This may sound like a strange thing to say, but boy has this been one long, drawn-out summer. I can’t wait for it to end!
I love summer; don’t get me wrong. The sunshine, the bounty of fresh produce, the seemingly never-ending supply of natural light (an amateur food photographer’s dream). Why, then, do I want summer to just go away already? Because a) autumn is my absolute favourite season, and b) I’ll be getting married just one month from now. This also helps to explain why I have been relatively MIA lately. The planning process is eating up all my precious blogging time!
In the spirit of all things wedding (which, frankly, is starting to get annoying by this point), I thought I’d share a photo and the menu from my wonderful bridal shower. My sister hosted the intimate affair at her home, and the theme was a tea party complete with dainty finger sandwiches, vintage cups and saucers and a bottomless pitcher of mimosas. My mom designed the menu and prepared the food, while my sister provided homemade scones and an array of different teas.
- Mimosas (sparkling wine and orange juice with maraschino cherry garnish)
- Assorted teas – Earl Grey, green, chai, oolong, Orange Pekoe…
Sandwiches and other finger foods:
- Egg salad with onion on white triangles
- Tuna salad with celery on whole wheat triangles
- Salmon salad sandwich with dill on whole wheat triangles
- Roast beef and havarti on marble rye with lettuce and roasted red pepper cream cheese
- Smoked salmon pinwheels on whole wheat with chive and garlic cream cheese with an asparagus centre
- Corned beef pinwheels on white with mayonnaise and relish with a gherkin pickle centre
- Cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches on flax bread
- Mini sausage rolls
- Mini pizzelle (see my previous post , in the comments section, for why Italian pizzelle were included in the menu)
- Mini cheese cakes with ginger snap crust and fresh blueberry or fresh peach compote for topping
- Bite-sized brownies
Now it’s time to look forward to my next shower on my future husband’s side of the family. No doubt it will be another wonderful time spent with friends and family.
If you missed it, check out my previous post on my engagement party back in April, which includes the menu.