Thanks to Metro and their Harvest from Home program, a program dedicated to eating locally, I’m hosting a giveaway starting TODAY for a gift basket filled with local ingredients from Metro, along with a $50 Metro gift card (so you can buy the seasonal produce, ensuring it’s as fresh as possible). For more details about Harvest from Home, see my previous post here.
I personally recommend the recipe below.
To enter the giveaway (open to Ontario residents only), simply leave a comment at the bottom of this post telling me what your favourite seasonal, locally grown ingredient is! Mine is tomatoes : )
I will randomly select one winner from the eligible comments below.
Recipe: Maple-flavoured quinoa salad with tomatoes, feta and herbs
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup fresh Ontario grown herbs, chopped
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 1 28-oz Irresistables Life Smart can chickpeas, drained
- 12 fresh Ontario grown tomatoes, chopped (I used cherry tomatoes…they’re my favourite)
- 1 Ontario grown red onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Maple syrup dressing:
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Ontario grown gives or fresh herbs
Cook quinoa as directed. Add herbs, feta cheese, chickpeas, tomatoes and onion and add salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl, combine the Dijon mustard and wine vinegar or lemon juice. Season to taste. Using a fork, whisk the dressing while adding the olive oil and maple syrup. Adjust seasoning and add the chives or fresh herbs.
In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Add dressing and season to taste. Serve chilled. Serves 4.