This cool, fresh salad is the perfect dish to serve alongside grilled skewers or herbed chicken in the summer, and can even stand alone as a vegetarian entrée. This is because quinoa is packed with protein, so even without a sprinkling of tangy goat cheese or feta (either of which would add a welcome savoury zing to the salad), this dish can serve as a complete light meal.
I didn’t have any fresh herbs on hand at the time I made this, but some coarsely chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley or mint would brighten things up considerably, giving the salad an even fresher, cooling taste. Here’s to summer!
Do you have a favourite summery salad (with or without quinoa) that you’d like to share? I’m always looking for new recipes to try during the warmer months!
Quinoa salad with cucumber & grape tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 package grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- A splash of white vinegar (note: you can also use lemon juice)
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley or mint, coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine the quinoa, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and garlic in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk together the oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the dressing and fresh herbs to the quinoa mixture and toss to combine.